Welcome
Welcome to cascadestudios

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

RPG - When Paradigms Shift

Moderator: Cascade Studios Staff

Re: RPG - When Paradigms Shift

Postby Enker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Wren looked from mother to daughter and tried to see if this was some kind of prank, socially awkward as he was this wasn't in his usual remit. He looked at the relic in his hand and close him fingers around it. A 'harmless' relic had claimed his mothers life and Shandi knew that.

"Please sit down." He asked and both girls slipped into seats, Shandi and her mother eyed each other briefly.

"I know that Shandi is a Freelancer, she's been working with me to relocate a stolen relic weapon of mass destruction. I can assure you she isn't going to prison, but please try not to let anyone else know."

He didn't mention that she was technically a jewel summoner now too . . .
Enker
Site Admin

Postby Rhythm Wily » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:06 am

Shandi visibly winced when Wren was talking about 'the relics of mass destruction'. When talking about her relics never hurting anyone with her mother she had been thinking about the two years she was traveling the countryside. Somehow she had completely forgotten about how Emass the Dijin had emerged from her relic and almost killed Wren in the catacombs. He and Vivia may have considered her a Jewel Summoner of sorts, but she certainly didn't.

Shandi was quite relieved to know that she wasn't going to be thrown into prison. When confronted with the facts she had feared that Wren would have absolutely no choice but to go with her mother's wishes whether he wanted to or not. "Well that's a relief. Let me just get my things and we can-"

"Not so fast, Shandi. I need to ask you something first." Her mother's voice still on edge. It was clear she still wasn't all that relieved by what the CORE officer had told her. "So when you went out to look for your father...Was that a lie too?" Her mind going to a question Shandi hadn't expected.

"No! That was the truth! I wasn't trying to be a Freelancer when I first set out! I was looking for dad!" Shandi pleaded her case. She couldn't believe she was being questioned on this. "After dad didn't come back home I found a journal of his about his exploits in the catacombs and so I decided-"

"You decided that you would follow suit and got caught up in the wrong crowd. I understand." Her mother finished her daughter's sentence in a way she hadn't wanted.
"They're not the wrong crowd, mom!" Shandi exclaimed, accidentally slamming her right fist on the table. They're really nice and we take care of each other."

"Don't take that tone with me." Her mother chided and Shandi quickly muttered an apology and placed her hands in her lap. "So that's what he's been up to." Her mother paused for several minutes. During that time the Freelancer could've sworn she heard a few low breathed curses before Tamarah resumed with nornal tone, yet stern voice. "I can't believe that man is responsible for you becoming a Freelancer." Letting out a long sigh she took a moment to bury her head in her hands.

"It's not his fault, mom." Shandi said, placing her hand on her mother's in a comforting gesture. "Before he left I wanted to be a traveling merchant just like him. I would've found out one way or another"

It was hard for Shandi to tell if her mother bought the explanation or not before she spoke. "And before you left you said that when you came back you would sign up to join the CORE regardless of whether you found Richard or not. The only reason I was even remotely OK with you doing this was because you were 15 at the time and as a result too young to enlist." This was something she hadn't mentioned to Wren and felt her face suddenly flush red at having something like that being said to someone of his station in earshot.

"Not to sound rude, but I would've left whether you gave me your blessing or not. I had every right to want to find him." Shandi stated matter-of-factly.

"Yes. I'm starting to realize that you've made your mind up about a lot of things. You really are like your father. " She said, placing her hand as if to run her hands through her hair and stopping when she realized how short it had been cut; her beautiful long hair no more. "So I've come to my decision." Shandi's mother stood up from the table. "I won't say anything about you being a Freelancer--"

"Thanks mom! You're the best!" Shandi stood up and gave her mom a tight hug.

"--Because you're working with the CORE and I don't want to cause trouble for you. However, I'm going to have to ask you to pack up your things right away. I'm not having a Freelancer live under this roof." Her tone was a calm one, but it had an edge to it that said not to argue.

"You're kicking me out?!" Shandi's jaw dropped. She thought things were going so well too. Of course a stern look from her mother was enough to say that she'd best not argue. "FINE! Have fun telling Jason that you kicked out his big sister for no good reason!" Digging into her bag she slammed the house key onto the table before storming out of the kitchen and loudly slamming the door to the room that she shared with her two brothers. It was clear that she was having her own little kind of temper tantrum.

"Don't mind her. She's just upset." Shandi's mother turned her attention to the CORE officer. "Just take good care of her. I've apparently lost the right to do that. I think that it's time that I let her go to do what she wants. This whole thing that's happened now has made it perfectly clear for me."

"WREN! We're going now! Get up!" Shandi huffed, then stormed out the house with all the possessions she could manage to pack away (including her new dress) in tow.

How can she say she loves me and then toss me out when I get back?! Hell, even dad said he loved me and wouldn't even spend the whole night with me talking after dinner!! He left after like, what, 5 or 10 minutes?! I hadn't seen him in 5 years and her in 2 and they just shrug me off like it's no big deal!
Rhythm Wily

Postby Enker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 am

"Hey!" Wren called after Shandi as she stormed out, jogging to catch up, his sword bouncing on his hip as he ran. "Shandi wait a minute, think about this."

She spun on him and glared, but for once he didn't back down. It looked like he was getting slowly used to social interaction with this girl.

"Do you really want to leave it like that? She's your mother and she's worried about you."
Enker
Site Admin

Postby Rhythm Wily » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:59 am

((OOC: Way to stand up to her, Wren!))

Shandi spun around and glared at Wren. If she hadn't been in such a foul mood she might have appreciated the fact that he wasn't shrinking back at her. "What's there to think about?" The Freelancer scoffed.

"Do you really want to leave it like that? She's your mother and she's worried about you." The CORE officer added to make his point more clear.

"Worried? WORRIED?!" Shandi couldn't believe this was coming out of his mouth. "Are you out of your mind, Wren?! Did you forget that if you had not stood your ground I would be in a CORE jail right now! She tried to get me arrested! I've heard about how horrible that place is from a couple of Freelancers." She slightly held herself and shuddered at the thought. "Besides, that was BEFORE she just kicked me out of the house! You heard her, Wren. I'm not welcome there."Her eyes wondered around Darsa, her home. It was the same as she had left it, but at the same time felt different.

Is it really just because I went traveling? Is Darsa too small for me now? Even Catherine didn't want me to continue Freelancing. I thought maybe at least she'd understand. Wait a minute. Where am I going to stay for the night? This is a pain. Now I have to go back to paying for my lodging.
Rhythm Wily

Postby Zienkyer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:47 pm

"I take it your mother found out, then?"

Vivia's voice came from a nearby rooftop where she was sitting, watching them nearly pass her. There was her typical smile, but it seemed far more sympathetic than normal, as she got to her feet. The Jewel Summoner hadn't known which house was Shandi's, after all, so half the morning had been spent wandering around. She had tailed Wren part of the way, but when he had gone inside, she had heard the faint, tell-tail signs of an argument...

Jumping down and landing with a practiced tumble, Vivia dusted herself off. "Mothers worry, and sometimes, they do stupid things in hopes it'll be safer for you than not doing anything at all. They also refuse to admit you're growing up! Just give her time to cool down." With a lighthearted laugh, her hands went behind her head, trying to get the other to relax. "I say we sit down, have some breakfast, and figure out our next move."
Zienkyer

Postby Rhythm Wily » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:43 am

((OOC: YAY! I'm so happy to have you back!!!))

"I take it your mother found out, then?" Vivia's voice rang out from the nearby rooftop where she was sitting.

"Uh, yeah! She just found out!" Shandi answered back, turning herself around and looking up. She had to shield her eyes since Vivia was sitting in line from where the morning sun was rising.

Shandi whistled with approval at the Jewel Summoner's landing before Vivia began to speak. "Mothers worry, and sometimes, they do stupid things in hopes it'll be safer for you than not doing anything at all. They also refuse to admit you're growing up! Just give her time to cool down." With a lighthearted laugh, her hands went behind her head. "I say we sit down, have some breakfast, and figure out our next move."

"Well I did leave when I was 15 and I'm 17 now." Shandi rolled the fact through her mind. "Maybe I have grown up a bit without realizing it. Guess those 2 years I spent out on my own has given me a bit of an independence streak." She smiled, it seemed Vivia's good mood was contagious.

It seems like Vivia really understands how I'm feeling about this. She's probably right and we both need some time to cool off.

"Oh, right. Let's get something to eat and do what we were going to do anyways before I was interrupted by my mom." Shandi nodded in agreement. She was glad Vivia was there to help get things back on track. "I'm pretty hungry so wherever we eat is fine with me." Her mood had gone from fuming to a more even keel. It wasn't her more cheery state, but at least she wasn't trying to verbally rip Wren's head off.
Rhythm Wily

Postby Enker » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:36 am

Wren looked across town at the large clock tower that hung over the square, he could just about make out the time from where he was standing behind the two women. With a sigh he mentally catalogued how much money he was carrying, more than enough to feed the three of them but he might have to grab more Coin soon if they kept on the way they were going. It seemed like all these two wanted to do was eat sometimes. Normally he'd have eaten at the mess with the other CORE soldiers or in the officer's lounge, maybe even had food brought to his room if he was busy, but doing so with his present company wasn't really an option.

Come to think of it his present company was a whole world away from the kind of people he would normally have hung out with - not that he minded.

"Alright, I guess that we could grab something." Wren agreed. "Plus we need to sit down and decide what our next course of action is going to be anyway, a restaurant or tavern is the best place to do that."
Enker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Roleplay